Friday, January 25, 2008

Rooster crossing

Bermuda roosters are so smart, they cross at the crosswalks. I swear! We came across this one at the crosswalk a couple of days ago, and silly me, I didn't stop for it to cross. I should have, right? I mean animals also count as pedestrians when they cross at the crosswalk, right? Arrgh! Anyway, the rooster actually backtracked when it saw I wasn't going to wait and so it waited for me to drive past, only after which it crossed the street. Just goes to show they're smarter than we give them credit for. Either that or it must have seen one too many of its friends get slammed by a car.

How's that for learned behaviour! I kid you not, this works with pigeons too back in Toronto. Dumb things would always gather at the edge of the sidewalk on the street further up where I lived and wouldn't even move, never mind the oncoming traffic. My brother says they can't gauge how far away the car is due to their eyesight being two dimensional, or something like that. Anyway, they'd be in the la la land until smack, one of them would end up as road kill. Well, then surprisingly they'd all be off the road. For days they'd not venture past the sidewalk. You could just about imagine them whispering to each other: Oh crap, look at Bob there! Dead!
Of course, this would only last until 'Bob' was cleaned up, and then back they were on the roads again, until their friends Tom, Dick, Harry, Sue, Jane and Sally all suffer the same fate, at different intervals. Forgetful things, aren't they?
I don't care much for pigeons, they could be extinct for all I care (in fact they should be!), but after this rooster incident, you know I'm going to feel guilty about eating a chicken the next time around.

3 comments:

bichonpawz said...

Smart Roosters!! Or...as you said...learned behavior! I meant to ask you...is the Wyndham still open? I heard they took the Sonesta over after the Hurrican pretty much demolished it. Then, I don't see Wyndham Bermuda listed on their site anymore? You do have some cool private listings on your blog though...

ZenDenizen said...

Ever see the Seinfeld about the pact with pigeons and squirrels? :)

MS CUTE PANTS said...

BB: Yes, the Wyndham is most definitely still around.

Zen: Now that was a funny episode.