Monday, November 20, 2006

the other kind of weed

We were away last week. The best part about coming back to our home away from home? It's the birds eye view of the island & its water especially when the colours are glorified & intensified on a sunny day. This is my wish for anyone visiting the island - that the sun shine & blaze to reveal the true colours that is the very essence of Bda's beauty.

However, as the plane neared the island something in the water caught my eye. There was a lot of brown something littering the waters around the island & it stretched for miles. My first thought was that it was run off from the sewage system. And because there was so much of it my next thought was how can Bda's water get so dirty so fast in just one week! Something at the sewage plant must have overloaded or gone bust. I'd already decided there was no way I was going in the water after this.

I didn't think much about it until we drove down on Sunday to spend some ti
me at the beach for Hubby's b'day. En route I saw this brown stuff again & of course was pretty disgusted. It was not until we hit the shore that we saw tons of the same brown stuff on the shore. But it's not what I thought it was all along. Not run off but it was seaweed. Seaweed that browns up & dies out during the fall, floats & washes ashore. Apparently this is the time of year for it.

Where were we last Nov to not notice this? Well surprise surprise, I guess this was our first proper seaweed dump viewing perhaps because we decided to make a trip to the beach. So we'll know for next year. Oh, I am so relieved. The waters are safe & more importantly clean. It was not polluted with run off but with good ol' natural seaweed. Dead seaweed but nevertheless natural. Hey at least it's not crap.

No comments: