Monday, June 08, 2009

Can't speak English a wah?

There has been a little bit of a debate going on and around about speaking English while in Cayman. There are so many foreign nationals here that you're bound to hear a myriad of dialects when you're out and about. With one thing I do agree, English MUST be spoken at the work place and there is no room for other languages, especially when dealing with customers. But anywhere else, is fair game. It's a free country and what that means is that you cannot stop someone from speaking in their own tongue with their friends while, say at the beach, or shopping. A restriction placed on that freedom is going a bit too far.

5 comments:

bichonpawz said...

I TOTALLY agree with you! 100%!!

Hardy said...

"An agreeable statement...with you on this one..."

Anonymous said...

I live in Northern NJ and I have to tell you, I rarely hear English spoken anywhere :)

MarkD60 said...

What if you're on the beach, and there's people talking in a foreign language, they might be talking about you!
What if there are terrorists, plotting an act of terror, in a secret code language. If they were forced to speak Our Language, anybody who heard them could report them!
What if I go to a foreign country, if all the people there were all forced to speak my language, think how convenient that would make things for me!
There are billions upon trillions of reasons for forcing everyone to do things OUR way!

I'm joking, I agree with you.

Rafael Rofes said...

Excellente blog
Rafael