Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Turtle capture

Cayman's Turtle Farm at times, receives a bad rap on account of how a portion of their turtles are sold as turtle meat to many restaurants around the island. On my last turtle post I was told it was shocking that 'I would promote this place'. I certainly don't applaud what the Turtle Farm does(near heartbroken, in fact), even if 40% of Boatswains turtles are released into the wild every year (this time around, I asked). For me, this is one chance to get up close to a turtle. And I am sure this is the same for many. So many people I know have never had the chance to see a turtle in action, let alone touch it. Practically everyone I know, in fact.

For three summers in Bermuda, I hoped to spot baby turtles at Clearwater Beach (the one place that turtles are seen during the summer months), but had no luck, whatsoever. I am no marine biologist, nor a diver to be able to see these creatures in action and so to Cayman's Turtle Farm I go. And this is where I'll take visitors too. I've never held a turtle before coming to Cayman (not counting the tiny pet turtle a friend had in Toronto as a pet, many years ago). And since I don't dive yet, it will be a while before I get footage like this, unless the next time I go snorkeling, I'll be on alert and not miss the chance to capture what I was able to during my second trip to the Turtle Farm (post Olympus Stylus camera purchase). This time around I was able to dunk the camera right in and capture what I think came out quite well, despite the sun's glare in my eyes. In fact, I love it! Sorry, Marie!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed the video!

bichonpawz said...

Personally, I'd LOVE to go to a turtle farm....what an amazing video! Can't believe you stuck your camera in the water!

MS CUTE PANTS said...

It's an underwater camera - the Olympus Stylus. No camera cover/shield needed, or I'd not be so daring...