Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Prints

At certain times certain rules for guest workers are brought into places like the Cayman Islands or Bermuda that make absolutely no sense to me. In recent news, a new law has been proposed requiring the fingerprinting of all expat workers. If approved, the fingerprinting procedure will be implemented for potential and current guest workers. The news went on to state that an applicant has the right to refuse being fingerprinted, which would then give Immigration the right to refuse that applicant his/her work permit. So basically an expat would HAVE to submit to their prints being taken. Resistance is futile!

The whole rationalisation behind the fingerprinting agenda is to get a handle on and to better manage and/or solve crime. Excuse me but, what crime and by whom? If that were the case, shouldn't EVERYONE be fingerprinted? Why just the expats? And isn't it factual and common knowledge that the crime that does exist in Cayman at most times, especially in recent times, does not involve expats. So, where is the justification for this procedure coming from?

Many believe the rationalisation behind the whole fingerprinting procedure is to keep in check a specific expat nationality. I won't say which at this point but it's common knowledge as to which one it is. It just won't do for Cayman to just come right out and say we are going to have just these expat workers from country X fingerprinted, would it? What kind of message would it be sending as an offshore jurisdiction, one that tops the world's list for the most number funds domiciled. But that's just a theory that's out there.

I have to wonder though, would the top bosses, the high profile executives be open to having themselves fingerprinted? Or would exceptions be made for them? And would that then translate to nationality, where if one were from Canada or America, they'd be excused? It will be very interesting to see how this develops because no one is comfortable with this new law/proposal. Click here to see the latest online poll taken by the Caymanian Compass on this matter.


Ok, so here's my thing: Canada doesn't even have my fingerprints for crying out loud, nor does India, Dubai or Bermuda. So, I'm not particularly in the sharing mood when it comes to my fingerprints. That and I don't trust any government with that kind of information. You know what, I'm NOT ok with it. The only time I have ever been fingerprinted was when I was six months old and that went in my baby book. Maybe I should just submit that with my next work permit application. Ridiculousness! Just a ridiculous as the proposal of the 'No cars for expats' in Bermuda.

So what do you think? Is this acceptable in any form in any country? All you Dubai & Bermuda expats, would you be ok with this if they were to implement this in your adopted country?

10 comments:

bichonpawz said...

This is a tough one. But I definitely agree with you. Not comfortable.

Anonymous said...

I dont think i would really have a problem with being finger-printed? But then i havent lived there yet so i dont really know the procedures the police use?

Anonymous said...

Fingerpringing is in for good. It is soon going to be on everyone's passports as well along with biometric information. Crap but you got to get used to it. Whist the way Caymans is implementing it can be an issue, everyone is going to do it at somepoint in the future.

MarkD60 said...

I don't think I'd have a problem being fingerprinted, I was fingerprinted for the US military. I think some passports already have it.

Tryangle said...

I wouldn't be particularly happy with that, seems awfully intrusive and to what purpose does it serve if it's only recording information about *some* people?

I remember getting my eye scanned while going through the U.S. not long ago and thought to myself that this seemed over the top. Mind you it's probably going to be commonplace quite soon as everybody's focusing on security and the like.

Jason Roth said...

Here in Las Vegas, Nevada, they fingerprint every worker, American or not.

Agepe said...

Hi... nice blog. Greetings from Indonesia

Anonymous said...

Fingerprinting/Eye scan....my god that is yet another of those Dubai stories. I was asked to do an eye scan by the damn fools just this July....could'nt they see? I lived there for nearly 25years ,worked in a big organization in their country, live in OZ now and was just entering their land after an around the world trip. Just who were they kidding?
Anyway, all their dumb rules are for the expatriates only...like the new national ID card which apparently is valid for some 1 year for expats but for 5 yrs for the citizens....and costs a fraction of what it cost for the expatriates - this world ain't fair. Imagine those workers who earn next to nothing...this is yet another expenditure to their measly budgets.

Anonymous said...

BB: You betcha!

Cayman's Girl: Well when you get here, you shall see. :o)

David: There should be no issues. They should fingerprint everyone, not just a particular group.

Mark: I'm still not warming up to the idea.

Tryangle: Oh man I would have been livid if that were me. Yes, an eye scan is definitely over the top.

i Vegas Family: Understandable, given what Vegas stands for.

Agepe: Thanks & welcome.

Sarah: So true. Many times bureaucrats don't seem to think about how this is going to affect the average Joe, making a less than average salary and why would they have to as long as their pockets are lined and they're sitting cushy.

Anonymous said...

The US started that a few years now. It was instituted as one of those post-9/11 "security measures" that all immigrants have to submit to. Many countries jumped on the bandwagon after that. The UK also took my fingerprints for a tourist visa recently.

G