Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Driving me crazy

Switching between driving in Bermuda and Toronto and then back to Bermuda again is not as daunting as I thought it would be. I managed just fine. Of course, the weather is another factor in the winter. There I was during in Toronto during Christmas week, in cold weather conditions, where the car had to be warmed up before take off (thank goodness for automatic car starters), where I had to bundle up, where defogging the windows was a must, as were gloves. But where the thrill of highway driving was only all to familiar. I could let 'er rip. And this is what I miss most about driving. Not to mention the many many things that can occupy one's time, like people and places. So many things to do but never enough time.

And then I make it back to Bermuda where the car need not be warmed up, a mild summer breeze blowing in while you drive with the windows rolled down, no defogging of any kind required, driving in flip flops (the sturdy kind) is much more refreshing than having thermal socks and winter boots on. All good things especially done in the span of 24 hours. But I still miss the highway driving without having to stop and go every darn minute to get from point A to point B.

Which reminds me of another thing: Apparently Bush is visiting Dubai. My first thought was WHY? In the past few years, Dubai traffic has accumulated to an all time high, where commuting by car from work to home is just as big of a problem like in NY or Toronto (but at least we have subways). Anyway, Monday was declared a holiday for Dubai residents as many of the roads were going to be closed down. It was very short notice and while I'm sure everyone appreciated the extra day off, it seems like no one's looking forward to the extra twice as long commute today. Many a family/ friend have been complaining via FaceBook about the drive into work and the drive going home. Stay strong, people! It's almost over.

Imagine if Bush visited Bermuda! With our one lane roads, no one would be allowed back on them until he left the island.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs - they're so refreshingly honest!

bichonpawz said...

hahahahaha! I don't think there is too much chance of him visiting Bermuda. I never actually thought about it, but it would be a royal pain if that happened! Sounds like you had a good holiday in Canada and are glad to be back on your island. Happy New Year!

ZenDenizen said...

What is this automatic car starter of which you speak?!