Wednesday, October 11, 2006

this strong house

Today was a rainy day. It started off with the usual clouds & spitting rain which then turned into massive dark clouds, big drops of rain (aka tank rain in Bermuda), thunder & lightning. My mom who's visiting, was on our patio rain watching. I had to call her in when I heard the first clap of thunder. No sooner had she come in, that I saw a bolt of lightning stream right in front of our place. I knew it hit something but figured it hit the wall that surrounds the driveway. It actually struck the house. The wall above the upper balcony. Bits of Bermuda stone was scattered on the patio & surprisingly enough on the street below. A little shallow depression has been created in the stone facade. Not really visible unless pointed out, which is a big consolation.

This strike was apparently quite powerful. I have to say I have never been that close to a lightning strike & I don't intend to have it repeated. Ms.StopYourNoise lost power at her place. Our cable's out. I'm not even sure how long it will take to get our cable restored. This is Bermuda and everyone works on island time. So I guess we'll have to wait for it.

---

No comments: