Monday, October 19, 2009

I think I know you

This place! Oh this place! You'd think by now I'd be used to the way a small island operates, especially since Bermuda + Cayman now makes it coming up to five years. But no, putting your foot in your mouth is easier to do here than in any other country. You can't even say, Oh don't I know you from somewhere? because that would mean you may have met that person at a different time in their life, like say when they were with another guy/girl, not the same one they're with now (even as close as to a month ago). But how are you supposed to know that? You only get an inkling when the big eyes come into play, when heads are shook vigorously, conveniently away from their girl/boyfriend's peripheral vision. And somehow you have to recover with the only line you know: Oh, I think I have you confused with someone else. I've had a few close calls, and these were through no fault of my own. So, from now on I'm keeping my mouth shut, even when I do know you, I'm not going to say I know you, unless you say so first. That's the way it's going to be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed reading your post....and remember "A closed mouth gathers no feet"...guess it applies everywhere....he he:)

MarkD60 said...

My problem is people remember my name and I can't even remember meeting them before! They know me and they don't even look familiar!