Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Walk the walk

Caymanians say I walk too fast. It's a force of habit, I tell them. If we didn't walk this fast back in Toronto during the winter, we'd be frozen on the way to our destination. Then they laugh. They hate walking, they say. I know this because they'd rather, in an outdoor complex, drive from one stairwell to the next instead of walking, or letting me walk. And no, no heels were worn. It's a fact that once you've acclimatised to a metropolitan city and are dependent on public transportation, you pretty much tend to walk everywhere once you're downtown. Parking rates there are highway robbery, so many just use the subway and/or walk. It's environmentally friendly, economical and definitely a more efficient way of beating traffic. New Yorkers will attest to this fact as well.

I can't remember what my Bermudian peeps might have said about my walking speed. Actually I do remember. They said nothing! No one walks fast in Bermuda. You just can't! Not when you have all those hills and dips to walk on. Speed is not even a factor in Bermuda. It's stamina!

My husband, however, says I don't walk fast enough...to keep up with him. Sometimes I don't know what he's talking about.

3 comments:

bichonpawz said...

Ha! I sure can relate to the "being frozen" part! It's freezing here today...

ZenDenizen said...

The other day a friend of mine found a parking spot on 27th street. I said this is perfect since our destination is on 21st. She proceeded to hail a cab for 6 blocks in NYC!!!

indicaspecies said...

Talk on the Walk.:)

I like to walk too, and take big strides at that!