Tuesday, December 11, 2007

MJ is short for...

Quick! What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear someone say MJ? Got it? Alright, hold on to that!

Being played on the radio at the end of the work day yesterday was a remix of Michael Jackson's upbeat and more popular songs. It made me smile as I have not heard some of the ones played in years. It definitely took me back to a time when my brother, like many other kids at the time, was a big Michael Jackson fan. Songs and concerts were taped and played over and over again (which is where I saw Sheryl Crow in an interview from those days as a back up guitarist - big poofy hair!) So yes, I did grow up with a good dose of Jackson's music.

Ahh the days before Michael became a white man. Which reminds me of this: after the liberation of Afghanistan from the Taliban regime, journalists flooded the country to capture its people as they were finally, after years of seclusion, exposed to the whathappenings around the world. I remember this one segment where an American journalist showed a group of boys a copy of an American celebrity magazine. They pointed to Britney Spears and asked them if they knew who she was. The boys had a blank expression on their face. Of course, they had no idea. How could they when the whole country was in isolation for so many years. They the boys were shown a picture of Michael Jackson and were asked if they recognized that man. Again a blank expression. They were then told it was Michael Jackson. The boys were flabbergasted. THIS is Michael Jackson???? they said. The disbelief on their faces was priceless. How can this be, they asked. Michael Jackson was a black man! (Hey! at least they knew who he was before the colour change). I wonder if Michael ever saw that segment and what his thoughts were. There! That will be my question to ask Michael, if I ever meet him.

And like I've said before, Bermuda loves Michael Jackson and I'm finding him played on the radio more and more these days (or maybe it's just one radio station in particular). Not that I'm complaining. I love dancing to his music. In between yesterdays remixes, the DJ gives a little rundown of the next set that's going to be played by MJ. MJ ? When I hear someone say MJ, Spiderman's Mary Jane comes to mind, and maybe Kirstin Dunst's face, along with the voice of Peter Parker in my head (and the way he says MJ)! Anyway, the DJ goes on to say: Don't you love MJ's music? I gotta tell you when you're having a bad day, all you gotta do is listen to some good Michael Jackson tunes. MJ makes it all go away!

I thought that was cute, and maybe a little funny. I'm sure 'MJ' with his current barrage of legal problems and bankruptcy would be happy to know that there's at least this 'paradise' where his songs are played on the radio almost everyday to take one's bad day away. Now if only he could collect royalties on that, he'd be back on Neverland in no time.

9 comments:

bichonpawz said...

You know what is interesting about him though....people continue to listen to him and talk about him...no matter what he does. No matter how much trouble he's managed to get himself into...people still love him. He still has a huge fanbase. I've heard he's making a comeback. And apparently he has! In Bermuda!!

ZenDenizen said...

You're not going to believe this but I actually saw him live at the Bollywood Awards in NY in '99. I've never heard so much applause and foot stompingin my life! He was there to receive the Lifetime Achievement award from Bollywood! Me and my friend looked at each other and thought, "wow his career has really gone down the toilet."

Anonymous said...

Good one...i liked this....

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms CP,

MJ has done lots of crazy stuff in his life. The color change however is not intentional, it is due to a sickness. I tend to believe him because he cannot walk in the sun without an umbrella. Seen this in some people who have suffered from loss of pigmentation.

educatedunemployed said...

Hello Hello, you have been tagged. :)

fortyfiveminutes said...

Listening to MJ takes me back to when I collected the insides of Pepsi bottle crowns + Rs25 to exchange for a Dangerous audio cassette! Incidentally, we have a whole MJ section on our home playlist that some of our guests have raised eyebrows at :)

Amaya said...

Appropriately so, Michael Jackson came to mind when you said "MJ is short for.."
I think it goes to show the power of music when you think of all the things Wacko Jacko has (allegedly) done and yet his music can still brighten someone's day.

Anonymous said...

i actually thought of Michael Jordan when i thought MJ ...but then again im a huge basketball fan
but im also a HUGE michael jackson fan too...he actually did a video with jordan called Jam..whic was awesome
whats funny is ive actually been listening to his stuff recently and watchin moonwalkin videos of him on youtube...he is awesome! i bet no matter what he did or didnt do ....if he started a tour right now...it would be sold out in minutes...and thats a fact!
it dont matter if you're black or white! WHOOO!\lol...a lil nostalgic there..lol

MS CUTE PANTS said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.

BB: I don't think he ever left Bermuda.

Zen: His career may be down the tubes but his songs are still rocking. You won't be able to stop me from hitting the dance floor when his tunes are playing.

Roopan: I think this post has received the most comments compared to any of my other ones.

UncleAfro: There's so many variations to this story...I have emailed you my thoughts.

EU: Thank you, Dr. At first I was dreading the tag but watch out for it...

FF: You and me both, babe!

Amaya: So true...

Raven: It's too bad he's wasted his fortune, but nothing a comeback tour wouldn't be able to fix...