Tuesday, July 03, 2007

oye russell! somebody gonna get a hurt real bad!

By now I'm sure some of you have heard of the Indian Canadian comic Russell Peters? He's garnered critical acclaim & tremendous popularity all over the world via his stand up comedy tour, famous for making fun of his own typically Indian culture & then some others. He is perhaps the only comic I know that can poke fun at any culture or race & not have it be construed as a political faux pas. Of course, being a minority/ a person of colour helps. Only he could go to Dubai, poke fun at the Arabs & get away with it! (Actually, I'm surprised they didn't ban his caboose after that!)

Russell is currently dabbling in his Homecoming tour, one that recently included Toronto & yet to take place, a free show on July 27th in downtown Toronto. Needless to say I am missing this event tremendously (free or not) & am not happy about it. Wouldn't it be nice if he came to Bermuda? I wonder what he'd have to say about Bermuda/Bermudians in his routine because you know he'd incorporate something so obviously apparent in his uniquely humourous way. The possibilities are endless.

Here's the video that made him famous & one you'll never tire of. I'd love to hear from those of you viewing this for the first time. (This video is so worth the load time).

Still want to know more about Russell? Then click on these CBC interviews:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

UPDATE:
A friend from Dubai, Hercule Marple (of course that's not his real name) emailed me to say that the locals were in fact offended by Russell's show. And so were the Filipinos. Dubai does have a large Filipino population, so I can only imagine Russell's Filipino rendition. I reckon it will be a while before it gets posted on You Tube. For the record, I think they need to lighten up over there. It's all in good fun. Take a lesson from this adorable Chinese kid. He's imitating Russell's Chinese imitation for Pete's sake.

No comments: