Friday, March 02, 2007

do you see what i see?

We've had some pretty decent weather - sunny days and all that. It's been getting darker later too & with the DST change next week, it's about to get better. While winter in Bermuda seems to be in full force in the short month of February, somehow it's just feels like it's the longest month there is. But bang March has rolled around & it seems like there's been a sudden unveiling from a state of hibernation. More like - that's it? Winter's done? Well, about time! That's what I've been feeling the last couple of days.

My brother, Newt & his co-workers have been here on the island this week for a business meeting.
With work getting in the way & of what little they have been able to see so far, they were awed. It's been interesting seeing the island through their eyes. Even though it's been cooler than normal, with Bermudians stating that they have not known it to be this cold, it's a welcome change for these visitors from the T(.). They insist Bermuda is anything but cold. You see, it's only when you've got visitors from the cold white north that you realize there is a colder world out there, one that you may have temporarily forgotten about, but ta da you get family friendly reminders every so often.

So, I had to take a step back to see what Newt & company saw. I had to first picture myself from their point of origin. Toronto with it's bare landscape save for the evergreen trees, streets kissed with melting snow giving rise to the unwelcome slush, the below zero temperatures at night & the most recent yet another snowstorm definitely makes Bermuda a welcome change. In contrast, we have Bermuda with it's rich foliage year round, blue skies when they're not threatening & awesome aqua hues when the sun decides to shine down. Yeah, I guess I have a lot to be thankful for. And I am.

At one point, Newt looks at me & says: So you live here, huh? Obviously, a rhetorical question. Yet all I could do was smile, shrug & answer in the affirmative. Not because I was taking it for granted but because I did not want to rub it in, for you see, he still has to go back home to Toronto in a few days. Well, not before he stays back to enjoy the island with Hubby & I, while his colleagues leave tomorrow as scheduled. Well, ain't the boy just plain lucky!

No comments: